Homemade Belvita Breakfast Biscuits (Copycat Recipe)

Updated 10/4/13, with more pictures and information.

My husband and I tried BelVita Breakfast Biscuits for the first time last week, and we LOVED them.  As is typical for me, I immediately started thinking about how I could duplicate this recipe at home for less money, but a Google search turned up nothing. I was disappointed.

I looked up the ingredients in Belvita, and decided that while I couldn’t duplicate them exactly, I could probably come fairly close in terms of flavor. After two batches and a lot of tinkering, I created something chock full of whole grains and low in saturated fat, while still being rich, crisp, filling, and very satisfying. The taste is very similar to BelVita (better, I think!), but since the dough isn’t rolled thin, they aren’t as crunchy and biscuit-like, and you can only eat 2 instead of 4 (a typical BelVita serving).  Of course, you could roll the dough thin, but to be honest, I didn’t want to go to that much work.

My version is also higher in fat than BelVita, but since fat contributes to satiety, I consider this to be a good thing in a cookie which is intended to be a meal replacement. I actually think that we should be eating MORE healthy fats in our diet, and fat is what gives these cookies their crisp, slightly crumbly texture.

Homemade Breakfast Cookies (That Taste Like Belvita!)
12 servings

1 1/3 cups stone ground whole wheat pastry flour (I bought this at an Amish market, but I believe that Wal-Mart carries Bob’s Red Mill brand).
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 – 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (to taste – I used 1/2 cup, but this is not an overly sweet cookie).
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil, such as canola or extra light olive oil (this is 5/8 cup, total. Be sure to use a liquid measure for accuracy).
1 tablespoon milk (I used unsweetened almond milk).
1 teaspoon honey

*Note*  When measuring dry ingredients, be sure to use dry measures, and level them off. In baking, accuracy counts!

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Thoroughly combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir in butter, oil, milk, and honey. Mix very well.

Dough will be moist and crumbly. Divide into 24 balls (a cookie scoop is useful here).

Place on Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten each ball with the heel of your hand (these cookies will not spread!)

Bake for approximately 15 minutes until lightly browned. Cookies will be soft, but will become crispy as they cool.

For a chocolate version, try reducing the flour to 1 1/8 cups, add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, and omit the cinnamon. Also, it would be advisable to add a bit more sugar. You may also want to experiment with the addition of dried fruits, such as cranberries, raisins, cherries, or blueberries, which will provide extra nutrition and allow you to lower the sugar content. Also, because I made so many of these when I was creating this recipe, I froze them in a gallon Ziploc bag, and they’re delicious straight out of the freezer!

Serving size – 2 cookies
Calories – 250
Carbs – 29 grams
Fat – 14 grams
Calories from fat – 31%
Dietary Fiber – 3 grams
Protein – 2 grams

Copyright 2013, Want What You Have. All Rights Reserved.

1. jennielynn October 3, 2013, 11:33 pm

I can’t wait to make these! They look delicious.

1. jennielynn October 5, 2013, 2:51 pm

I made these last night and oh my gosh, they are so, so good. I did add a splash of vanilla to the oil and a pinch of nutmeg, then pressed them very thin on the baking sheet. Crispy, not too sweet, filling…they’re awesome! Thanks for figuring this out!

2. Michelle October 4, 2013, 12:07 am

I love Belvitas! And I love that you figured out a way to make them! :) Trying this weekend!

3. Shelly October 4, 2013, 1:48 am

Once again your timing is perfect. I have been trying to think of a portable breakfast option for my husband who is traveling this weekend. This is just what he needs — filling and delicious. Thank you!

1. Shelly October 9, 2013, 12:38 am

I sent these with my husband on his fishing trip last weekend. They were a BIG hit with all the guys. So nice to have a delicious, portable, homemade breakfast option when there’s no time to cook.

4. Sarah October 4, 2013, 3:53 am

These are for sure my style! I am going to be making these very soon :) Thanks so much for sharing.

5. christy October 6, 2013, 12:14 am

Yum Heather! I think in Australia we call these ANZAC biscuits – although the ratios probably differ a bit! They’re pretty much a staple over here ;)

6. Jody November 16, 2013, 12:12 am

Hey, I was wondering what I could add them to keep them soft instead of getting crunchy? Any ideas?

Thanks for the recipe!

1. patti January 21, 2014, 3:05 am

Try adding a lightly beaten egg with liquid ingredients

7. Window January 30, 2014, 1:20 am

I was looking for this recipe after buying belvita cookies at the store – I’m so glad I found you!! I made them exactly as directed and they turned out great! They really do taste very similar to the belvita cookies only better : )

1. Heather January 30, 2014, 6:58 pm

I’m so glad you liked them! They are my husband’s #1 favorite cookie now.

8. Kenneth Mclaws February 2, 2014, 8:16 am

I hope you’re right because I’m eating a box of Belvita a day and thats a little expensive. I was going to start with the old fashion oatmeal cookie recipe but found yours so off to the store tomorrow I go. Thank you. Kenny

9. Cathy February 15, 2014, 1:50 pm

I don’t have pastry flour on hand… I don’t know the difference between that and regular whole wheat flour. Could I make them if I add something else?

1. Heather February 15, 2014, 1:56 pm

Pastry flour is a low protein flour, so it creates a light texture in baked goods. You can try substituting regular whole wheat flour or even all-purpose flour, but the cookies will be more dense, and will not have the same light, crisp texture.

10. Julie March 31, 2014, 12:16 pm

Thanks for this recipe! I could find anything when I googled it either! How would you suggest altering the recipe if I wanted to make the chocolate flavor?

1. Heather April 2, 2014, 3:24 am

Julie, I haven’t had the chocolate version, but based on other chocolate cookie recipes I’ve seen, I would suggest adding 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I like Dutch process) to the dry ingredients. You’ll need to reduce the flour in the recipe to 1 1/8 cups, or even slightly less than that so the dough isn’t too dry. I would also omit the pinch of cinnamon, unless you like the taste of cinnamon and chocolate together (I don’t, but that’s just personal preference). Let me know how they turn out!

11. Susanna April 3, 2014, 3:51 pm

I made these last night – the chocolate version – with white flour (on accident but it was fine…just not as healthy!) and 1/4 cup cocoa (and a few mini chocolate chips). I used coconut oil and they turned out delicious!

12. Julie April 5, 2014, 3:14 pm

Awesome thanks! I have been obsessed with them lately so it’s great to have a healthier option! I noticed at the grocery store there are two types of these, a soft baked version and I guess an “original” version, the soft baked version look like this recipe but the chocolate ones I know are the thinner and crunchier “original” so I did know for sure if we are all talking about the same ones? I will let you know how they turn out if I make some! :)

1. Heather April 5, 2014, 3:18 pm

Julie, this recipe is for the crunchy ones. I haven’t tried any of the soft-baked ones because the crispiness is what I love!

1. Julie April 5, 2014, 3:45 pm

Ok just wondering :) I’m exited to make them! Thanks again!

13. Julie April 5, 2014, 3:17 pm

I love the idea of adding chocolate chips and using coconut oil!

14. Jan May 21, 2014, 4:41 pm

Why do you use butter and oil?
    Could you just use oil? If so, would you use the combined amount of butter and oil or just the oil amount already in the recipe?
    Could you use just regular Quaker oatmeal (not the instant, but the kind in the red/blue cardboard canister that you cook in a pan)?
    Also, on all your dry ingredient measurements… do you pack it down then level or just dip in and level?
    Thanks :-)

1. Heather May 21, 2014, 8:47 pm

I use a little bit of butter just for the rich flavor. You don’t have to do this. Just use an equivalent amount of oil instead.

You can certainly use regular Quaker oatmeal, and when measuring dry ingredients, the only one you would pack is the brown sugar. For the rest, just scoop and level.

1. Jan May 22, 2014, 1:53 pm

Thanks! Looking forward to making these :-)

15. Shannon May 28, 2014, 6:44 pm

Red Mill isn’t the best choice….. it has one of the lowest gluten levels I’ve ever used

16. Gordon A Davidescu June 18, 2014, 7:08 pm

Would this also work with other flours, perhaps such as a chickpea flour? Thanks in advance. This looks amazing.

17. Jimmy G June 24, 2014, 3:01 pm

Looking forward to trying these. What size cookie scoop did you use? 1 or 2 oz?