Over the weekend, we finally got the girls’ new rooms painted! I’m so happy about this, because now the trim, doors, and carpet can be installed, and we can move them in….and I can get started on painting my office!
We promised the girls that they could choose their own room colors, and Cakes requested purple, while Bee wanted light pink (they are little girls, after all). The last time we took stuff to the recycling center, we stopped at the Swap Shop, which is where people bring unwanted paint, varnish, household cleaners, and any other chemicals that shouldn’t go into the landfill. Everything is free for the taking, and we’ve really benefited from this in the past. We painted our basement bathroom, and my husband’s office with free, Swap Shop paint, and we also regrouted our shower with free grout and grout sealer, and varnished some trim with free polyurethane. On our last visit, we noticed that they had numerous cans of paint in various shades of pink and purple, and we had a light bulb moment. Maybe, if we combined all the pinks, and all the purples, we would end up with enough paint for both rooms – for FREE! Since a gallon of decent quality paint costs around $25, and we estimated that we would have to buy 4 gallons in order to give both rooms two coats, we decided to take a chance.
We primed everything first, and painted the ceilings and closets white. Then, we used an empty, 2-gallon primer bucket to mix up the paints. We had several small cans of purple, including one very light lavender, and a dark reddish-purple.
Some were flat, and some were semi-gloss or satin, but we decided that when they were all mixed, the final result would be satin or eggshell, which would be fine for bedrooms.
When all the purples were mixed, we thought the color was a little dark, so we added all the little jars and containers of leftover off-whites, which we’d accumulated over a decade of do-it-yourselfing, to lighten it up a bit. I joked to my husband that we were making “Franken-paint.”
The finished product:
My husband has the amazing ability to paint a perfect line along the ceiling, without masking. I have no idea how he does it.
We had two, nearly-full gallons of pink paint. One was blue-based, and the other was more of an orangey pink.
When combined, I thought the color was still too orange, so we added some of the purple to tone it down. The finished product was perfect, and when we got it on the walls, I knew that Bee would love it!
It was just what she wanted, and she was very happy when she came home from her grandparents’ house and saw it for the first time.
Cakes was pretty pleased, too. When she saw her room in all its purpleness, she said, “Oh, it’s BEAUTIFUL!
My husband and I are happy because they’re happy, and of course, it’s always nice to keep paint out of the landfill, and save $100 in the process! Plus, we still have about 3/4 gallon of each color for future touch-ups. If they get sick of the pink and purple, we aren’t out anything, and back to the Swap Shop we’ll go!